Meet The Author
Name: Aimee-Leigh Prince
Position: Marketing Manager
From: Portsmouth, UK
Expertise: Social & AdWords
What You’ll Find In This Post…
- Some pretty cool stats on Google advertising
- The 4 best free ways to increase the performance of your AdWords campaign
- Benefits of each hack discussed
If you have landed on this page then it wouldn’t be a surprise to hear that you may be having some difficulties with your AdWords campaigns and are looking for some nifty life hacks! Well look no further, I am here to help get the ball back rolling on your PPC campaigns.
According to Google, display campaigns reach 90% of global internet users and Statista suggests 88% of Google’s total revenue comes from advertising (that’s roughly $79.4 billion). With stats like that it’s no wonder so many people are wanting to jump on the PPC bandwagon! Working for a digital marketing agency I understand that campaigns can get pricey, which is why I have put together my top 4 free PPC hacks you need to know.
#1. Get Emotional
Don’t be scared to trigger some emotion within your ads. Douglas Van Praet, author of Unconscious Branding: How Neuroscience Can Empower (and Inspire) Marketing, once stated “The most startling truth is we don’t even think our way to logical solutions. We feel our way to reason.” and research from neurosciencemarketing.com suggests that campaigns with purely emotional content performed about twice as well than that with only rational content.
Check out the below ad from yourclothing.co.uk compared to the others shown. The headline ‘Designed with Curves in Mind’ instantly stands out from the usual ‘Women’s Plus Size Clothing’ and the description, ‘Feel Fabulous & Look Amazing!’ creates a feeling of empowerment for women. It’s no wonder it ranks #1 on Google right?
#2. Take Advantage of Ad Extensions
Ad extensions will be your life saviour! They take seconds to set up and can do wonders for your CTR! They are free to use and can be added to any account, campaign or ad you want. However Google will not show your extension all the time. Instead Google will predict whether or not the extension will improve the performance of your ad. It also takes into consideration Ad Rank and positioning on the page. Here are the main types of ad extensions we find work best:
- Sitelinks: These take people to specific pages on your site e.g. contact us, opening hours, price etc. The main benefit for using Sitelinks is that customers can click and be taken directly to the page they are looking for.
- Call: This is pretty self explanatory. AdWords lets you add your business phone or mobile number to the ad, which can increase CTR’s by an incredible amount and is easier to track conversions!
- Location: This type of extension allows your customers to easily find you, showing distance, a map of where you are and often a call button. This is great if you are already using Google My Business, a free business listing giving you visibility on Google Maps and Search.
- Price: Again pretty self explanatory, price extensions are great if your goal is to get people to purchase a product when they click through to your website.
- Callout: You can use this extension to promote your unique offers to your customers e.g. free delivery, 50% off selected products, handmade etc. You can use between 2-6 different callouts at a time.
Top Tip – Be careful of Google’s automatic extensions. This can waste a huge amount of money without you even knowing! To control what Google can automate go to a campaign, click on ad extensions, view: automated extensions report and select the advanced options.
#3. Single Keyword Ad Groups
Google encourages you to have between 5-20 keywords per ad group but I’m going to be completely honest right now. That is absolute garbage! Using that many keywords in one ad group means your ads are at higher risk of having low relevance and affecting your quality score. Using single keyword ad groups can maximise your ROI and here at ShineRank one of our number one rules is to always use this method for a number of different reasons:
- Improved CTR’s
- Control Over Landing Page
- Easier Analysis
- Better Organisation
- Higher Relevance
For more information why not take a visit to our blog post: Single Keyword AdGroups: How They Maximise ROI
#4. Remarket, Remarket, Remarket
I cannot tell you how many times I have been window shopping on a website. Sitting on my browser and longingly staring at that gorgeous new pair of trousers I desperately want before deciding that actually, I am now a sensible adult who shouldn’t be wasting my money on items I don’t need. What happens next? BOOM! Those gorgeous pair of trousers? They start to follow me, everywhere I go, teasing me! Until eventually I have to give in. I click on that little ad on my browser and I buy those trousers – HURRAY!
This is called remarketing and trust me, it works. Even me, an experienced digital marketer who knows all the tricks, still ends up falling for a good ol’ remarketing ad.
The process is simple especially if you already advertise on Google. All you need to do is add a tiny bit of code called a tag or pixel to your website which will enable cookies. Remarketing can be extremely targeted and we suggest targeting customers who have viewed a specific product or page of your website rather than the homepage as this will lower your CPC. So what are the benefits of a remarketing campaign?
- Higher Conversion Rate
- Higher CTR
- Increased Impressions
- Lower CPC
- More Targeted Ads
Well that’s it from me for today! I hope you enjoyed my 4 free PPC hacks that are guaranteed to get you back on the game and I hope you’re now eager and full of excitement to start improving your AdWords campaigns.